The term “Outsourcing” can have negative connotations however, in today’s global economy, many businesses in the US and Europe, have found that outsourcing certain business functions can be extremely cost effective. BPO or Business Process Outsourcing is the process where a certain business function will be outsourced to an overseas company. Some of these functions are Customer Service, data entry or IT support to name just a few. The Internet has literally opened the floodgates of opportunity for businesses to expand far beyond their geographical borders. As these opportunities have expanded, so has their need for 24/7 service to a global marketplace.
Many countries have “opened their doors” to this new industry, however, India has been the most aggressive in pursuing the opportunities offered by BPO.
So why choose India for your BPO? It has emerged as the preferred outsourcing destination beating out other off-shore destinations such as China and the Philippines. What sets India apart? Here are a few reasons:
- India offers a large number of highly skilled workers who offer high quality service at a low cost.
- The 12 hour time zone difference of India allows companies to offer 24/7 service.
- India boasts a large English speaking population who are well educated and very techno-savvy.
- India has proven, over the course of several years, that they can handle a wide variety of services from ITES and IT to research and customer support.
These are just a few of the many reasons why many US and UK based companies have chosen India for their BPO.
While India has definitely lead the way in the BPO industry another country who is quickly emerging onto the scene is Jamaica.
Jamaica is moving beyond the tourism industry and into the BPO-call center industry with 13 call centers in their country. They have taken great strides in increasing their technical capabilities by adding fiber optic cable around the entire country. Their government has also allowed for satellite connections overseas and invested in a public training program to prepare residents for jobs in the BPO-call center industry.
So why choose Jamaica for your BPO? Here are some reasons to consider:
- Jamaica is the third largest English speaking population in the Western Hemisphere making this a natural choice for many US based companies.
- Jamaica offers favorable times zones for both US and Europe. A zero to three hour difference with North America and only a six hour difference with Europe.
- Jamaica’s lower hourly wage leads to lower operating costs.
- Jamaica’s HEART Program (Human Employment and Resource Training) established a call center curriculum. One point of emphasis is training students in standard English, slowing down their natural dialect and de-emphasizing their accent.
So for companies that would prefer a more near-shore option for their BPO, Jamaica is an ideal choice.
India and Jamaica. Two very different countries who both bring strong resources to the table when it comes to choosing a BPO location.
This blog was written by Dilip Barot, Founder and Chief Strategy Officer of Etech Global Services. Etech employs 2,500 team members across the US, India and Jamaica. If you would like to learn more about outsourcing to India or Jamaica, contact email@example.com for more information.